Did you know inside air quality is worse than outdoor air quality? When we think of our home, we might not always think of the air quality and the possible dangers that lurk in it. But for those with the compromised immune system and Lyme disease, air quality is paramount to staying sick or getting better.
The following are reasons that cause the indoor air quality to be bad:
- Windows are often closed for extended periods
- HVAC Air filters are not changed often enough.
- Polybrominated biphenyl (PBB) & Polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) are chemicals found in your home’s plastic consumer products to make them flame retardant.
- Polyurethane is also found on your furniture and floors used to make the items water-resistant.
- Formaldehyde is sprayed on carpets, furniture, and many other items in your home.
- Cigarette Smoke
- Mold & Mildew
- Household Cleaning Supplies
- Dust Mites, Pollen, Pet Dander & Cockroaches
- VOC from paint
- Chemicals from dry cleaning
Things you can do to increase the air quality in your home:
- Open windows frequently to air out the house.
- Use chemical-free cleaning supplies in your home.
- Use low VOC or no VOC paint.
- Air out your dry cleaning outdoors before bringing it inside.
- Change your air filters frequently and use the highest number XX you can get
- Make sure all air intakes and returns are working in each room.
- Clean your ducts with an organic cleaning company once a year.
- Do not smoke indoors.
- Consider buying a dehumidifier or humidifier, depending on whether you live in a dry or humid climate, to help you regulate the humidity levels in your home.
- Keep hardware floors instead of carpeting. Purchase wool or organic rugs.
- Buy an air purifier for your home: either room filters or entire home filters. Air filters help regulate indoor air and make sure your home is free of dust, allergens, and mold.
For more ways to detox your home and body, head over to our Detox blog page!
Air Oasis is the leading air filter company providing top-of-the-line in-room and entire home units. CLICK HERE to learn more about Air Oasis products and a special offer for Lyme 360 listeners and readers.