How Can Mold Affect Lyme?

Mold Image

Why You Need to Test for Mold In Your Home and Health!

Mold is a fungus that grows, spreads, and releases tiny spores into the air. Some spores land and continue to spread the mold, while others stay in the air until we breathe them in. Mold exposure can compromise the respiratory and immune systems and cause widespread inflammation. Those with chronic illnesses are more likely to develop severe symptoms due to our weakened immune systems.

Common symptoms associated with mold:

  • Allergies
  • Asthma attacks
  • Respiratory illnesses
  • Digestive issues
  • Skin conditions like dermatitis or fungal infections
  • Memory loss or learning disabilities
  • Infertility or recurring miscarriages
  • Fatigue
  • Increased susceptibility to autoimmune disease

Source: trulyheal.com

Reasons mold can be so harmful:

Mold disrupts and damages the immune system making us more susceptible to autoimmune disease or reactivating old viral and autoimmune diseases, like Epstein-Barr Virus and Lyme disease. Mold also causes a great deal of inflammation and increases oxidative stress. Inflammation occurs when your body’s white blood cells are triggered to protect your body from bacteria and viruses. However, in autoimmune diseases, like Lyme, celiac disease, and arthritis, your immune system triggers inflammation when there are no invaders to fight off. Hence, the body starts to attack normal tissues, causing damage. Oxidative stress occurs when toxins damage our healthy cells. The body uses its antioxidant resources to continuously repair these damaged cells and tissues, which depletes the antioxidants in the body and leads to poor health.

Mold contains mycotoxins. When we are exposed to mold and breathe in these toxins, they can affect our respiratory system and brain. They also can bind directly to our DNA and RNA, which obstructs protein synthesis leading to long-term cell damage.

Because the mycotoxins disrupt mitochondrial function, mold exposure can lead to low energy and fatigue because it disrupts mitochondrial.

How to prevent mold exposure:

  • Ensure areas like your bathroom, kitchen, and basement get enough airflow and have proper ventilation.
  • Use air conditioning or a dehumidifier to keep your humidity levels between 30-50%. Excess humidity makes it easy for mold to grow.
  • Fix any leaks in roofs, windows, pipes, walls, and plumbing immediately to prevent sitting water or dampness.
  • Continuously check bathrooms, basement, attic, windows, behind large appliances, and other potential areas for mold.

How to Treat Mold:

I would highly recommend going to a Functional Medicine Doctor to get a prescription for mold or mycotoxins but in the meantime, check out Dr. Axe’s blog for natural remedies.  

Read More On Lyme and Treatments

  • https://lyme360.com/iv-therapy-and-ozone-treatment-with-dr-sara-whitney/
  • https://lyme360.com/pemf-therapy/
  • https://lyme360.com/carrie-perry-story-lyme/

 

GOTLYME?

GET OUR FREE DETOX CHECKLIST TODAY!

Download our FREE, ‘detoxing for Lyme’ checklist today.
Stay informed on nutrition and treatments.
Hear from experts and other Lyme Warriors.

Come Heal with Me! XX, Mimi